Halibut is a fish that has several advantages because, in addition to being available in the market throughout the year, its price is affordable, and its meat is of great culinary acceptance.
In the market, you can buy whole, in steaks or on wheels (the most frequent are steaks), both fresh and frozen. And although sometimes it is sold as sole, its meat does not reach the quality of the latter.
Halibut can be cooked in various ways, although given the fragility of its meat; it is convenient to be very careful when handling it, both before and during cooking.
It is possible to prepare it boiled with a little rosemary that gives it a touch of aroma and flavor or batters it and accompany it with a mayonnaise sauce.
It can be cooked poached, that is, cooked in a little broth or roasted in the oven or on the grill and accompanied by some baked potatoes or a garnish of grilled vegetables.
This fish is a good ingredient for the preparation of recipes for special occasions, such as Halibut with green tea cream. This is a straightforward recipe in which the cream, made with liquid cream and green tea, gives the fish an aroma, flavor, and color that is hard to forget.
If you want to make some delicious fish snacks, you should know that Halibut can also be bought smoked, although its presence in the markets is not as common as that of other smoked foods, such as salmon or trout. Here we will tell you how to prepare Halibut with lemon oil, garlic and Sautéed cress. If you are interested in how to cook Halibut in the oven, then it is also possible we can also prepare Halibut in the oven.
Halibut with lemon oil, garlic and cress sautéed step by step
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, one crushed and one chopped
- Fine lemon zest to taste
- ½ teaspoon anchovy paste
- A pinch of ground red pepper
- 7 bunches of fresh watercress, cut and chopped
- 4 fillets without halibut skin (170 grams each)
- Pepper and salt
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- In a small bowl, combine two tablespoons of olive oil with crushed garlic and lemon zest. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes and then remove the garlic.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped garlic, the anchovy paste, the red pepper and cook, and until fragrant, about thirty seconds. After that, add the watercress, raise the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring until it has withered, approximately 3 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large pan for high heat. Season the halibut fillets with salt and black pepper and add them to the pan. Cook until the bottom begins to brown, about 3 minutes, and then put the halibut in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Heat the watercress mixture over medium-high heat, approximately one minute. Spread the cress on the plates. Using a spatula, place the halibut with the roasted side up on the plates. Finally, sprinkle with lemon oil and garlic.
- To serve.