Table of Contents
Everybody is entitled to how they want to use their dab rig. Some people want to use professionally distributed products and others want to make their own stuff with their own hands in the comfort of their own home. But some people who do get I haven’t heard of a dab rig or even the process of dabbing itself. And that’s why we put this extensive guide together to give you the rundown on everything and anything there is to know about dabbing and dab rigs. In this article, you will know about DIY Dab Rig: How To Make One.
What Is the Dab Rig?
A dab rig is a waterpipe instrument that is made to be used with wax or oil concentrates through a process known as “dabbing”. The reason why it’s called that is that the concentrates are “dabbed” onto the heated dab nail.
In the last few years, the popularity of dab rigs has gone up due to concentrates hitting the market in droves. Although any type of water pipe can be used for dabbing, it’s imperative to use a dab break for the occasion if you want to get the best results.
Then there’s the DIY dab rig for those who don’t have the money or want to waste money. Of course, there are certain negatives that you need to be wary of, but we’ll get to those in a second.
How to Make a Homemade Dab Rig
Here are the steps that you need to follow on how to make a dab rig:
- The first thing you need is a metal arrow slot. You’ll need to remove the tail and the cover of the tip. It’ll be easier if you use pliers for this job.
- Next, use a blowtorch to below one side of the metal pipe. Then take a wooden pin with a twisting metal top and attached to the side of the pipe that the blowtorch was used on.
- Get an empty plastic bottle and remove its lid. The idea is to measure the bottle a bit with your pipe to see if you’re comfortable smoking.
- Take a pair of tiny scissors and poke a little hole in the plastic bottle. Make sure the hole is big enough for the plastic pipe to go through. If the hole isn’t big enough, then you can use a lighter or a blowtorch to widen it up.
- Then insert the plastic pipe in the bottle before inserting the metal pipe later on. If you want to tighten the area around the pipe, just slap some plastic tape on the hole first and then use the pipe to make a hole on it. Then test to see if it really is tight by plugging up the other end of the pipe and then place your mouth into the bottle and dab.
- Take one of those spinning pens that have a ring on them and then fit it snugly on a metal socket that you would use later for dabbing. And then place this at the mouthpiece of the metal pipe.
- It’s essential to have metal for dabbing, so what you should do is to put some small metal rings or chain-link at the opening of the metal pipe with the dab rig parts metal using your blowtorch and then dab right away.
Now while this may be a convenient way for you to get stoned, it’s not exactly safe and there have been unfortunate issues reported with homemade dab rigs.
Here are the biggest reasons why homemade dab rigs are a big no-no:
1. You Might Burn Yourself
Usually, most DIY dab rigs involve using paperclips, electric car letters, or butter knives to vaporize concentrates. The issue is that these items could tend to lead to 1st or even 2nd-degree burn injuries. As a result, a fun experience could immediately turn into a disaster.
2. Glass Splinters
Another issue with homemade dab rigs is that the glass might be either thin or be of low quality. As such, they are not made to handle high temperatures and could shatter as a result. Not only is it a chore to clean up afterward, but it may also lead to serious cut injuries.
3. Dangerous Toxic Fumes
If burning and cutting didn’t scare you, that perhaps dangerous toxic chemicals will. The toxic fumes that are produced from using a butane torch from heating plastic materials and more. These chemicals might not cause an immediate catastrophic effect, but they most certainly do in the long run.
Benefits of Using a Proper Dab Rig
Using a true dapper aid from professional manufacturers gives you the following benefits:
- Even the tiniest of dab rigs can give you maximum paper
- Forms vapor besides smoke that usually consist of harmful carcinogens.
- Produces vapor that tastes better with smoke that contains almost no odor.
- It gives you the best flavor from your concentrates.
What to Look for When Buying a Dab Rig?
Here are some of the essential factors that you need to consider before purchasing a legitimate dab rig from a credible brand:
- Is the rig thick and durable enough to beef up with accessories to extend its usability?
- Is the rig suitable to your preference and style? Do you prefer the shape, color, and style of the rig? Is it appropriate to be considered a table piece?
- Is this dab rig from a reputable and more importantly, legitimate brand with positive online reviews? Who better to tell you how legitimate a product is than the customers themselves?
- Does the dab rig come with a dab nail? If it doesn’t, then a proper head shop will provide you with an affordable dab nail.