Table of Contents
With what we see today, there is no doubt that soon, everything will be controlled through technology. A complete proof of this is the fantastic device developed by Amazon known as Alexa. Recently a feature was developed that allows Alexa to be integrated with a sound system known as Sonos. If you do have these systems and you are new to all of this, you are probably wondering how to connect Alexa to the Sonos system. Well, do not worry, we are going to discuss the Sonos system and Alexa in detail. Thereafter we will show you how to set everything up.
Sonos and Alexa
Before we dive into showing you how everything is being set up, let us first explain what Sonos and Alexa are.
Sonos is a multinational consumer electronics firm that has been operational for the past 18 years. The people behind the formation of Sonos in 2002 were Tom Cullen, Craig Shelburne, Trung Mai, and John MacFarlane. The company is now run by Patrick Spence, the Chief Executive Officer. Mr. Spence and his team have been instrumental in developing multiple electronics for clients, including smart speakers the company is well known.
Therefore, when we are talking about the Sonos system, we are talking about the exceptional sound systems/speakers developed by this company. Sonos Incorporation has put a lot of time and effort to input technological advancements into their speakers. One good example is Alexa, which we are going to discuss shortly.
Alexa is a virtual assistant that was developed by the online shopping titan Amazon. Alexa is capable of very many things like voice interaction, playing audiobooks, setting alarms, and much more. It is available for use by various operating systems like Android and IOS.
Alexa has been used in many fields, and it is practically taking control of our day to day activities. One field it has been incorporated into is in entertainment and sound systems. Now here is where Sonos speakers come in. Recently, Sonos announced a Sonos-Alexa Integration that is set to help the numerous Sonos and Alexa system users immensely.
What do You Need to Control Sonos Using Alexa?
- A Sonos system/speaker. Make sure it is running the latest update.
- An Amazon enabled gadget.
- Wi-Fi Connection.
- Switch on your Amazon Alexa device and the Sonos system. Make sure they are up and running.
- Open the Alexa application on your mobile device. You can also use the Amazon Alexa website.
- On the menu of the application /website, you will see an option called “skills.” Tap that option.
- After that, click “Search Sonos.”
- After the search is complete, you will then choose the Sonos skill.
- After that, tap “Enable” and sign in into your Sonos account.
- The next step is discovering the Sonos system. All you have to do is say, “Alexa, discover devices,” and you are all set.
- There is also another way of doing so. You can just go to the Alexa app and tap Smart Home. You will then select Devices and Discover.
Once the discovery is complete, you can now control your Sonos system using Alexa.
With the influx of more and more devices, each of which comes with different methods of operations, navigating the technological world can be a bit tricky. That is why we have given you a complete guide on Alexa and Sonos systems. We have also shared a clear guide on how to integrate these two systems. All you have to do is ensure both Alexa and Sonos systems are up and running. You then open the Alexa application. Choose the skill and then discover the Sonos device. After that, you can control the system using the Amazon Alexa.